The formation of the John G. Fleming
Bowling Club was the outcome of the Diamond Jubilee of
her most gracious majesty Queen Victoria.
Mr John Gilmour Fleming of
Houstonfield intimated that he was willing to provide
funds for the formation of a bowling green and
clubhouse. This led to a great day in the village of
Houston on 2nd July 1898 when the green was formally
opened by Mr John Gilmour Fleming and his sister Miss
In the evening a dinner was held in
the village hall in honour of Mr John Gilmour Fleming
with close to 100 including local clergy and Provost
McKenzie of Paisley in attendance. It was a happy and
harmonious occasion. Paisley’s elocutionist Mr Roxburgh
was present and filled his audience with merriment.
The first competition on the green
was the club championship and in 1906 John G Fleming
donated a gold medal to the championship winner, John
Buchanan. John attached his medal to his watch chain and
in 1970 his son William Buchanan who was secretary of
the club for many years presented the medal to the club
to be used as the Presidents Badge.
The ladies section was formed in 1939
with the ladies being associate members only. In 1961
the title of Lady Convenor was changed to Lady President
in line with the Men’s section, and in 1995 ladies were
accepted as full members of the club.
In addition to our keenly contested
internal competitions our gents and ladies play in the
Johnstone and District Leagues as well as competing in
national and regional competitions. In 2010 the Ladies
Triples of Jennifer Yule, Isabel Gilchrist and Rosemary
Speirs were crowned Scottish Triples Champions. Prior to
this the biggest honour for the Club was in 1961 when
Alan Whyte and William McGregor won the Scottish Pairs
Title and followed this in 1962 by winning the British
Isles Pairs Championship.
The original clubhouse has changed
many times over the years to become what exists today.
The hall, opened in 1992, now provides a first class
venue for indoor short rink bowling, entertaining
visiting bowlers and social events.
In 2008 the members of the club
agreed to change the status of the club to a Community
Club thereby relinquishing rights on any dissolution of
the club to the Community or the sport of Bowling. This
change reflected the aspiration of John G Fleming in
1898 to provide a sporting and recreational facility for
the residents of the village and surrounding area. New
members are always welcome from experienced bowlers to
those who have never played the game.